Commit to every swing

Commit to every swing

Rehearse the shot with a purpose, then execute it

By Tiger Woods with Pete McDaniel and Mark Soltau
Golf Digest
July 2006


Before my most recent swing changes I didn't realize the importance of practice swings. They help reinforce swing keys and promote good swing thoughts. Rehearsal swings have helped me with one of my main goals this year: to commit to every swing. Before, I would make a cursory practice swing without that full commitment, and it was mostly a wasted motion. I see the same thing among my amateur playing partners. I also see players make practice swings that don't fit the intended shot. That's a real waste of time and energy.

I don't advocate taking three or four practice swings, because you'll slow down play. One or two should be enough to get you focused on the shot. That way you'll be more concerned with making the proper swing than with the outcome. If I've made a purposeful rehearsal, fully committed to the shot and executed it to the best of my ability, it's easier to accept the outcome.



Putt to a picture on big breakers

I had only one putting coach in my life, and that was my dad. His concept of putting was simple: Putt to the picture. Whenever I had trouble with my stroke, he would reinforce the early lessons, and I'd regain confidence in my mechanics immediately. That mental technique remains with me in the heat of competition, especially on breaking putts, where visualizing the break and putting to a spot at the apex of the break are critical. I get a picture in my head and stroke the ball toward what I see in the picture while keeping my head perfectly still. Alignment is crucial. A lot of amateurs set up for a putt as if it's straight, then push or pull it back toward the line. Set the face of the putter square to your intended line, then align your body to the putter.